Friday 3 July 2009

MixItUp...

The remit for the mix was to try and create as natural a sound that best represents what the band sounds like live as opposed to a massive studio production job. My little home studio, like so many others, is a very modest affair in a back bedroom. It probably measures 3.5m x 2.5m, has a basic Auralex treatment kit and a pair of Yamaha HS50m monitors. Most of the EQs and effects used in mixing were native to Logic 8, but the DI’d bass was run through IK Multimedia’s Ampeg SVX plugin, and I also used their CSR reverb plug-in which is marvellous, especially on snares. I’d also like to evangelise about the Euphonix MC Mix 8 fader control surface which rapidly speeds up the mix process. Unfortunately I only got to use one on the very last track!

To prepare the masters, I used Waveburner and IK Multimedia’s T-Racks 3 to get the shine and – of course – make my contribution to the Loudness Wars